Let’s get a few things straight. I like to think of myself as a morning person. Once my eyes are open, and my feet hit the ground, I’m good to go. However, before anyone goes to pat me on the back, it’s the eye opening feet to ground thing that I struggle with. You see, I often fall into a stay-up-way-too-late only to dread getting up in the morning slump.
I was reading this guest post and thought to myself, my morning routine definitely needs a makeover! I realize that I may not wake up every singing show tunes (Sound of Music, anyone?), but maybe getting a simple routine together would make my mornings a lot less rushed, a bit more pleasant, and dare I say enjoyable? Here are a few things on my mind when I think about creating a morning routine.
1. Go to bed on time
Right now, I have the sleep schedule of a college freshman. This may or may not have something to do with the fact that I work from home, and while I do have set hours, I often overwork, and under-enjoy. Which leads to me staying up at ridiculously late watching yet another Youtube “What’s in My Bag” or “Naked 3 Palette Review”. Boo. If it got to bed around 10:30 pm through the week, I’d be able to get up and hit the gym (or yoga studio). Working out in the evenings just doesn’t work for me.
2. Use an Alarm
See my first point. My college freshman behavior indeed extends into the morning. I have horrible alarm use habits. Sometimes I set it, sometimes I don’t and I usually wake up naturally around 8am (give or take 30). This always leads to mild anxiety, as I never have time to get prepared to walk into the office. Even if said office is next door to the bedroom. If I went to be around 10:30 pm, I could wake up at 6:30 am which would give me time to take care of the things that matter most: easing into my day, taking time for my well being, looking presentable, and getting a jump start on my workday to do list.
Now for the fun bits! If I’m up in the morning, I might as well make it fun to get ready, right? Here’s my short list of things that would make the routine fantastic:
1. Bodyweight and HIIT workouts are my go to on gym days, so these Nike Free Bionic Training shoes are perfect for me. I like to save my pricey running kicks just for running, so these shoes (with their barefoot feel) are so amazing.
2. Because I work from home, I can light candles in the morning without worrying all day if I’ve blown them out 🙂 This Peach Bellini candle from Bath and Body Works has an amazing, fresh scent that lingers. It’s perfect to light while getting ready to face the day.
3. I love fresh uplifting minty-ish scents after a workout. This Early to Rise body wash by Kiss My Face smells like wild mint and citrus, and is the perfect pick me up in the morning.
4. I lack a robe in my life, and this plush pink one fits my girly bill 🙂
5. One of my favorite scents – The Body Shop’s Satsuma Body Butter is a standby for smelling clean and fresh post shower.
6. I’m not a caffeine addict per se, but I’m trying to limit how much coffee I drink for sanity’s sake. The roasted flavor in Numi’s Toasted Rice Green Tea is perfectly balanced, and I often drink a few cups of this throughout the morning.
7. This Brita Water Pitcher in punchy pink would make remembering to drink enough water throughout the day a breeze.
I’ll report back in a few weeks with how my morning routine is going!